Diet Type: Dairy free, Egg free, Gluten free, Grain free, Phase 1 Restricted, Phase 1 Semi Restricted, Phase 2 Reduce and Repair
Cooking Time: Under 3 hours
Prep: 35 mins
Cook: 3 hrs
Yields: 4 servings
This beef rendang curry is free from onion and garlic, yet retains the delicious flavours of the rendang curry spices. It's suitable for all phases on the SIBO Bi Phasic Diet. Add some jasmine or basmati rice to make it suitable for Phase 1 Semi Restricted and Phase 2.
Rendang Spice Paste
- 4 lemongrass stalks, white part only, chopped
- 1 ½ inches fresh ginger, grated
- 1 ½ inches fresh galangal, grated
- ¾ inch fresh turmeric, grated
- 4 scallions, green part only, chopped
- 1 long red chili pepper, chopped
- 2 dried chili peppers
- 8 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbs coconut oil
- 2 lbs beef chuck steak, cubed
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 cardamom pods
- 3 cloves
- 3 star anise
- 1 lime, juiced
- Place all of the rendang spice paste ingredients in a blender with 4 tablespoons of water and blend until smooth. If the paste is too thick, add 1 extra tablespoon of water at a time until it blends thoroughly.
- Heat a large, heavy-based skillet over a medium heat. Melt the coconut oil, then pour in the spice paste. Cook for 3–4 minutes, stirring continuously. Add in the beef, stock, coconut milk, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, cardamom pods, cloves, and star anise. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to very low. Cook for 2–3 hours or until the meat is very tender, the liquid has evaporated, and the fat has rendered out of the beef.
- Stir every 20 minutes to ensure the curry doesn’t burn on the bottom of the pan. Stir in the lime juice and season with salt as necessary. Remove the spices with a slotted spoon and discard.
- If you can wait, serve this the day after cooking as the flavors will have developed even further.
- If you can tolerate it, serve with ½ cup of cooked basmati or jasmine rice per serving. This will make the recipe suitable for Phase 1 Semi-Restricted and Phase 2. If in Phase 1 Restricted, serve with some steamed vegetables.
Tell your friends
Why not share the love? We love it when you tell your friends about The Healthy Gut Recipes. Simply click one of the icons below to share it with your favourite social media platform.