Diet Type: Dairy free, Egg free, Gluten free, Grain free, Low FODMAP, Phase 2 Reduce and Repair
Cooking Time: Under 1.5 hours
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 1 hr
Yields: 4 servings
Traditional French dish Coq au Vin is the perfect pairing of chicken and bacon, slow cooked to perfection. This version is without onion and garlic, making it SIBO friendly and Low FODMAP. Easy enough to cook mid-week or impress guests at a dinner party with it. We like to cook the chicken whole, but you can also use pieces of chicken to make serving even easier. This is chicken at its finest.
2 tbs olive oil
1 bunch scallions, green part only, chopped
- 8 strips streaky bacon, diced
- 2 carrots, cut into batons
- 1 celeriac, cubed
- 2 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3.5 lbs free-range chicken
- 4 cups low FODMAP chicken stock
- 4 sprigs thyme
- handful fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10.5 oz green beans
- Pre-heat your oven to 350F.
- Heat a stove-top proof large casserole dish over medium heat. Add the olive oil, scallions and bacon, cooking until the fat has rendered out of the bacon.
- Add the carrots, celeriac and potatoes, cooking for a few minutes.
- Next, place the whole chicken into the casserole dish, breast side facing up. Pour in the chicken stock, add the thyme and parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with a lid and place in the oven for 1 hour or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Just before serving, steam or boil the green beans for 3 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the casserole dish and cut into pieces. Serve each segment with plenty of cooking liquid and a side of green beans.
- If you can tolerate it, you can replace half of the chicken stock with a dry white wine. This would be suitable for people who are more advanced with their SIBO diet and are introducing more variety of foods back into their diet.
- If you can't tolerate potatoes, feel free to omit them. This dish is equally as delicious served with a side of jasmine or basmati rice.
Tell your friends
Why not share the love? We love it when you tell your friends about The Healthy Gut Recipes. Simply click one of the icons below to share it with your favourite social media platform.