Diet Type: Gluten free, Grain free, Low FODMAP, Vegetarian
Cooking Time: Under 2 hours
Prep: 30 mins + cooling time
Cook: 15-20 mins
Yields: 12 cupcakes
These seriously moist and delicious banana cupcakes make the perfect mid-morning or afternoon treat for people following a Low FODMAP, SIBO or gluten free diet. Note: the lemon frosting can be omitted if you would prefer the cupcake on its own or to keep it dairy free.
- 4 free range eggs
- 1.5 cups mashed banana (3-4 bananas)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted plus extra for greasing
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup walnuts
- 4 oz lactose-free cream cheese
- 2.5 oz butter, softened
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 banana, thinly sliced
- Pre-heat your oven to 350F.
- Prepare a 12-cup muffin pan by lining the tins with muffin cases. Set aside.
- Place the eggs, banana, maple syrup and coconut oil in a large bowl. Mix to combine.
- Stir in the almond flour, shredded coconut, cinnamon, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Chop the walnuts to a consistency you like, then stir into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin cases, smoothing the tops so they can be frosted easily.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. To test if the muffins are cooked, insert a skewer into the center of the muffin. If it comes away clean, they are cooked.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes in the pan before removing and cooling on a wire rack.
- While the cupcakes cool, make the frosting. Beat the cream cheese, butter and icing sugar together until fluffy and has lightened in colour. Add the lemon zest and juice and beat until well combined.
- Place the frosting in an icing bag and pipe over the top of your muffins.
- Dust with the extra cinnamon and place a slice of banana into the top of the frosting.
- These are at their best on the day they are made, but can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 2-3 days if not eaten on the day they are made.
Tell your friends
Why not share the love? We love it when you tell your friends about The Healthy Gut Recipes. Simply click one of the icons below to share it with your favourite social media platform.