Diet Type: Dairy free, Gluten free, Grain free, Low FODMAP
Cooking Time: Under 2 hours
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 30 mins
Yields: 4 Servings
These tasty little parcels are surprisingly ﬁlling and are great fun to eat, because you get to use your hands to wrap them up. Get creative and add other SIBO-safe crunchy ﬁllings in your lettuce wrap to personalise them just how you like them.
- ½ cup macadamia nuts
- 2 tbs lard
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 red chili pepper, finely chopped
- 2 lbs free-range ground pork
- 1 x 8 oz can bamboo shoots
- 1 x 8 oz can water chestnuts
- 5 tbs coconut aminos
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs tomato paste, free from preservatives and sugar
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- 4 scallions, green part only, sliced
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, washed, leaves separated and kept whole
- 1 bunch Vietnamese mint, washed, leaves picked
- 2 limes, cut in half
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Cover a baking tray with baking paper and place the macadamia nuts on it. Once the oven has come to temperature, roast the nuts for 10 minutes or until golden. Remove from the heat. Once cool enough to handle, chop roughly. Set aside.
- Heat a large wok over a high heat. Once smoking, add the lard and then add the ginger and chili, stirring for a few seconds before adding the ground pork. Stir quickly to break up any lumps. Brown the meat then add the bamboo shoots and water chestnuts and stir to combine. Add the coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, tomato paste and sesame oil. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- Once cooked, remove from the heat and stir through the scallions.
- If the mixture is too dry, add a few tablespoons of water into the mix which will moisten it and prevent it from burning.
- Place the lettuce, mint, macadamia nuts and lime cheeks on a large board. Serve the pork mixture in the wok or in a large bowl.
- To make a portion, scoop some pork into a lettuce cup, top with macadamia nuts, Vietnamese mint and a squeeze of lime. Enjoy!
Tell your friends
Why not share the love? We love it when you tell your friends about The Healthy Gut Recipes. Simply click one of the icons below to share it with your favourite social media platform.