Diet Type: Gluten free, Phase 2 Reintroduce
Cooking Time: Under 1 hour
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 25 mins
Yields: 4 servings
A SIBO friendly spicy breakfast kedgeree with Anglo-Indian heritage pairs aromatic spices, smoky fish & zingy lemon. Suitable for Phase 2 Remove and Restore on the SIBO Bi Phasic Diet.
- 1 lb smoked white fish fillet (such as cod, haddock, etc.)
- 4 free-range eggs
- 2 tbs ghee
- 4 scallions, green part only, sliced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 1 red chili pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tbs grated fresh ginger
- 2 tbs curry powder, free from binders and gluten
- 2 cups cooked basmati or jasmine rice
- ½ cup 24-hour yogurt
- ¼ bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Place the fish in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water then bring to the boil. Once the water is boiling, remove from the heat and let sit in the water for 3 minutes. Remove the fish and drain the water. when cool enough to handle, peel the skin away from the flesh and discard. Flake the flesh, being careful to remove any bones. Set aside.
- Place the eggs in a saucepan of cold water. Bring to the boil and then cook to your liking. For a soft-boiled egg, cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat. Peel the eggs then set aside.
- In a wok or large frying pan, melt the ghee or coconut oil over a medium - high heat. Add the spring onions, celery, chilli and ginger and stir for 2 minutes or until softened. Add the curry powder and stir for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add the rice and stir until it has incorporated with the vegetables and spices. Stir in the yogurt and fish. Squeeze half of the lemon over the mixture and then season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide into four bowls. Cut the eggs in half and add 2 halves to each bowl. Sprinkle with the cilantro, and serve with the remaining lemon cut into wedges.
- To make a dairy free version replace the ghee with coconut oil, and use coconut yogurt. This will make the recipe suitable for Phase 1 Semi Restricted Diet.
Tell your friends
Why not share the love? We love it when you tell your friends about The Healthy Gut Recipes. Simply click one of the icons below to share it with your favourite social media platform.