Diet Type: Dairy free, Gluten free, Grain free, Phase 1 Semi Restricted, Phase 2 Reduce and Repair, Vegetarian
Cooking Time: Under 30 minutes
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 25 mins
Yields: 6 large buns or 9 small buns
Hot cross buns don't need to be off the menu this Easter with these delicious SIBO-friendly, gluten free hot cross buns. Suitable for Phase 1 Semi Restricted on the SIBO Bi Phasic Diet.
- 4 free range eggs
- 1 banana
- 2 tbs honey
- 3 tbs melted coconut oil + extra for greasing
- 1/2 cup + 3 tbs coconut flour
- 2 tbs almond flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- Zest from 1 orange
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
- Grease a muffin tin with coconut oil. Set aside.
- Place the peeled banana in a bowl and mash thoroughly. Add the eggs, honey, coconut oil and beat until well combined. Stir in 1/2 cup coconut flour, almond flour, spices, zests, baking powder and baking soda. Mix until well combined. Pour the mixture evenly into the muffin tray. Pour into 6 muffin holes for large buns, or into 9 muffin holes for smaller buns.
- In a small bowl, mix 3 tbs coconut flour and 1/2 cup almond milk to a medium consistency. Pour into a small piping bag and then pipe crosses over the tops of the buns.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until firm in the centre.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the tray for a few minutes, before serving warm. Serve with some ghee or butter if dairy is tolerated.
Tell your friends
Why not share the love? We love it when you tell your friends about The Healthy Gut Recipes. Simply click one of the icons below to share it with your favourite social media platform.