Diet Type: Dairy free, Gluten free, Grain free, Low FODMAP, Phase 1 Semi Restricted, Phase 2 Reintroduce, Vegetarian
Cooking Time: Under 1.5 hours
SIBO friendly Meringue tree recipe from The Healthy Gut. A towering showstopper of a dessert, that's dairy and gluten free too! Suitable for Phase 1 Semi-restricted on the SIBO Bi Phasic Diet.
- 12 egg whites
- 2 cups (16 oz) glucose syrup
- 1 tsp ground vanilla beans (or 2 tsp of 100% vanilla extract)
- 6 cups (48 oz) coconut milk, chilled
- 2 tsp ground vanilla beans (or 1 tbs 100% vanilla extract)
- 4 cups strawberries, halved
- 4 cups raspberries
- Pre-heat the oven to 250F. Cover 4 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Draw circles of the following sizes on the paper: 9.8 inch, 8.6 inch, 7.4 inch, 6.2 inch, 5.1 inch, 3.9 inch and 2.7 inch.
- Place the egg whites in a very large bowl. Make sure it is very clean as any grease will prevent the egg whites from stiffening. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Slowly mix in the liquid glucose until fully incorporated and the mixture is glossy. Mix in the ground vanilla.
- Using the circles as a guide, divide the meringue mixture across the four trays, ensuring each circle has an even thickness and is flat across the top. The 2.7 inch circle is the top of the tree. You may like to shape this into a peak to resemble the top of a tree. Place in the oven and bake for 1 ¾ hours or until dry and firm to the touch. Turn the heat off and cool the meringues in the oven with the door slightly ajar.
- To make the filling, scoop the solidified coconut milk out of the can and into a bowl. Discard the watery liquid at the bottom of the can. Add the ground vanilla, then beat until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble just before serving, place the largest circle on a cake tray or platter. Top with some whipped coconut. Lay strawberry halves and raspberries evenly over the top. The bottom piece will need to carry the weight of the remaining pieces, so it is important that the berries are evenly placed on this layer. Repeat the process with the remaining layers. Top with the peaked meringue.
- The meringue mixture needs to be baked right away to avoid deflation. If you have a small oven that cannot fit all of the trays at once, divide the meringue ingredients in half and cook it in two batches. Use one half for the two largest circles, and use the second half for the remaining circles. The tree is best assembled right before serving. It is not suitable for freezing.
Tell your friends
Why not share the love? We love it when you tell your friends about The Healthy Gut Recipes. Simply click one of the icons below to share it with your favourite social media platform.