Diet Type: Egg free, Gluten free, Phase 1 Semi Restricted, Phase 2 Reduce and Repair, Vegan, Vegetarian
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 30 mins
Yields: 4 servings
This hearty vegan red lentil dahl will leave you feeling full and satisfied while adhering to your SIBO diet. Soaking the lentils ahead of time improves their digestibility. The mix of herbs and spices adds a delicious depth of flavour to this dish, while the coconut milk adds a silky creaminess to it. Great on its own, or even better with a side of jasmine or basmati rice.
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 6 scallions, green part only, chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 inch fresh turmeric, peeled and grated (or 2 tsp ground turmeric)
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tbs ground coriander
- 2 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground cardamon (or 2 cardamon pods)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 2 cups canned coconut milk
- 1-2 cups water (add less for a thicker consistency)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 2 cups cooked jasmine or basmati rice
- Place the red lentils, water and apple cider vinegar in a large bowl. Soak for 12-24 hours then drain and rinse well. Drain again.
- In a large pan, heat the coconut oil and add the scallions, ginger and fresh turmeric. Stir for a few minutes then add the mustard seeds. Stir until they start to pop, then add the cumin, coriander, paprika, cardamon, salt and pepper. If using ground turmeric, add at this time. Stir for a few seconds until the spices release their flavours.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, coconut milk, water and soaked red lentils. Cook for 30 minutes or until the lentils are cooked through and the sauce has thickened to your desired consistency. Stir in the lime juice. Taste and season accordingly.
- Divide the rice and dahl between 4 bowls and top with chopped cilantro or parsley.
Tell your friends
Why not share the love? We love it when you tell your friends about The Healthy Gut Recipes. Simply click one of the icons below to share it with your favourite social media platform.