Diet Type: Dairy free, Egg free, Gluten free, Grain free, Phase 2 Reintroduce, Vegetarian
Cooking Time: Under 30 minutes
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 30 mins
Yields: 4 serves
Ice cream is no longer off limits while treating SIBO. This decadent chocolate chip recipe tastes lovely and rich, but contains none of the gut irritating properties of commercially made ice cream. The use of an ice cream machine delivers a lovely creamy result, and is definitely worth the investment.
- 8 oz coconut milk
- 8 oz almond milk, unsweetened
- 3 tbs raw cocoa powder
- 2 tbs honey
- ½ cup raw cocoa butter
- ¼ cup raw cocoa powder
- ½ tsp stevia
- Pour the coconut and almond milk into a large bowl. Mix the cacao powder with ½ cup boiling water, stirring constantly to remove lumps. Pour into the bowl. Add the honey then mix thoroughly.
- Pour the chocolate milk mixture into your prepared ice cream machine and then follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Meanwhile, make your chocolate chips. Place the cacao butter in a plastic or heat resistant bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals until the cacao butter has melted, and it has reached 105F-113F. Sift in the cacao powder and stevia, mixing thoroughly to combine.
- Cover a cool surface with parchment paper, then pour the chocolate mixture on to it. Using a spatula, move the chocolate around constantly until it thickens to a toothpaste consistency. Return it to the bowl and microwave it in 5 second intervals until the temperature is between 82F–93F, mixing between each zap to remove any lumps.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Pour the chocolate over the tray then allow to set. Once set chop finely.
- Once the ice cream is almost set, add in the chocolate chips. You may like to reserve some to garnish your ice cream. Serve immediately. This ice cream is best eaten at the time of making, as ice crystals can form once completely frozen, and it will lose its creamy texture.
- If you don’t have time to make chocolate chips, you can substitute them for 4 tablespoons of cacao nibs.
Tell your friends
Why not share the love? We love it when you tell your friends about The Healthy Gut Recipes. Simply click one of the icons below to share it with your favourite social media platform.