Diet Type: Egg free, Gluten free, Grain free, Phase 2 Reduce and Repair, Vegetarian
Cooking Time: Under 2 hours
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 2 hrs
Yields: 35-45 small squares
Drool over this seriously amazing SIBO Chocolate Caramel Slice recipe. Crunchy base, creamy caramel and crispy chocolate covering the whole slice.
- 2 cups almond meal (or another mild tasting nut flour)
- 3/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 2.5 oz butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup raw cacao powder, sifted
- 1 tsp natural stevia
- 3 1/3 cups coconut milk (full fat)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2.5 oz butter
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Line a 11 x 7 inch brownie pan with parchment paper. Place the almond flour and shredded coconut in a medium bowl. Melt the butter and honey, add the vanilla then pour into the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly then press into the base of the tin. Bake for 10 minutes or until cooked through and golden. Cool completely in the tin.
- Meanwhile, make the caramel. Pour the coconut milk into a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Slowly bring to a boil. You may need to stir it constantly as it may spit and splutter. Reduce the heat to a low simmer, add the honey (or another sweetener), and cook for 30-45 minutes, stirring regularly, until thickened and reduced by one third to one half. Be careful not to burn the bottom as it will ruin the caramel. Once thickened, add the butter to the mixture and stir until completely melted. Pour into the tin and bake for 15 minutes until golden and bubbling (check out this video of what it should look like). Remove the tin from the oven and cool completely, before transferring to the fridge to chill.
- To make the chocolate topping, mix all of the ingredients together until well combined and all lumps have disappeared. Pour over the caramel and return to the fridge to set completely.
- To serve, gently pry the paper away from the sides of the tin and lift the slice out. Put on a board and cut into small squares with a sharp knife. You can dip your knife into hot water and wipe between each slice to keep the edges nice and clean. Keep refrigerated when not eating, as the topping can melt in warm weather. Will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 days (if it lasts that long!).
Tell your friends
Why not share the love? We love it when you tell your friends about The Healthy Gut Recipes. Simply click one of the icons below to share it with your favourite social media platform.