Diet Type: Dairy free, Gluten free, Grain free, Low FODMAP, Phase 1 Restricted, Phase 1 Semi Restricted, Phase 2 Reduce and Repair
Cooking Time: Under 1.5 hours
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 1 hr
Yields: 2 Servings
Just because you are treating SIBO doesn’t mean you have to miss out on burgers! You won’t even notice the lack of bun with this juicy Aussie burger, and the carrot fries are a fun play on traditional potato fries.
- 1 whole beet, cleaned
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into batons
- 2 tbs lard
- 10 oz ground beef
- 3 eggs (ideally free-range)
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 4 strips bacon, free-range, free from sugar and nitrates
- 4 leaves iceberg lettuce, washed
- 2 tbs mustard, free from garlic and nitrates
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
- Wrap the washed, unpeeled whole beet in foil. Place in the oven to cook for 1 hour. To check if it is cooked through, remove from the oven and pierce with a fork or small knife. If it goes into the ﬂesh easily, it is cooked. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. The beet may release some juices while cooking and cooling, so it’s best to place something underneath it to prevent staining.
- Once cool enough to handle, unwrap the foil and discard. The skin from the beet will come away easily now. Peel off all of the skin and then slice into thick slices. Set aside.
- Place the carrot batons in a bowl. Melt 1 tablespoon of lard and pour over the carrots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix to combine. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper, and then spread the carrots out evenly on the tray and cook for 30–45 minutes, or until cooked and slightly crispy.
- Meanwhile, place the ground beef, 1 egg, parsley, oregano, ½ teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper in a large bowl. Using your hands, mix until thoroughly combined and the mixture has come together. Form into 2 large patties. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to ﬁrm.
- Heat a non-stick pan over a medium heat. Melt 1 tablespoon of lard then add the patties to the pan. Cook the patties to your liking. Remove from the pan.
- In the same pan, add the bacon and cook to your liking. Remove from the heat.
- To assemble your burger, place 2 lettuce leaves on a plate. Top with the burger, 2 slices of beet, 2 strips of bacon and 1 egg. Serve with the carrot fries and mustard.
Tell your friends
Why not share the love? We love it when you tell your friends about The Healthy Gut Recipes. Simply click one of the icons below to share it with your favourite social media platform.